Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pig flu update

Our clinics are starting to get flu cases. We had 2 cases today of Influenza A. We're testing for Swine Flu, but the diagnosis is likely.

Us cases increased 50% again to 91. NO deaths. I'm sorry, I do not count a case of this disease acquired in Mexico as a US death. This poor 2 year-old's death is tragic but does not raise my concern level.

The WHO has increased the threat level to 5. I hold out little hope that we will not go to 6. I think the cat's out of the bag and we will have a flu pandemic. BUT! This flu does not appear from current observation to be any different from normal seasonal flu if you look at it's behavior outside of Mexico. I still hold out a good hope that this is just going to amount to an extra flu season in late Spring. My crystal ball (which has never been real reliable to be honest) thinks we will wind up with thousands of deaths worldwide like we do with normal flu, but not be a worldwide plague like we might fear. It could peter out and be far less. It could go the other direction.

I have added the CDC RSS feed to this blog for easy access to their updates and bulletins.

My advice, use good hygiene practices, stay home if you are sick, and avoid large crowds. I think the Hockey, and Basketball playoffs are going to suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment